Friday, April 30, 2010

Hope...Hope...Hope


Hope deferred makes the heart sick...(Proverbs 13:12a)

This verse became unforgettable because of Carolyn McCulley's book Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?. Now this verse keeps on ringing in my ears as I face moments of discouragements and frustrations. When events are beyond our comprehensions and they really push us at the end of our ropes, hope seems to be hiding beyond the clouds. And worst, sometimes it is the heart that gives in.

But those of Christ never lose hope. I don't know how it happens but I thank God that though it seems hopeless, hope is endless in His Hands. He keeps on pouring it in my heart; He gives an unexplainable assurance in my heart; He keeps me trusting His Word.

In moment like this, I always find myself in the book of Psalms. Well, Martin Luther is right when he said that if you can't find your life in the Psalms, you have never become a child of God. In this book, I learned three things:

Scripture tells us to put our hope in the Lord

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. (Psalm 62:5-8)

The Bible tells us about God's faithfulness; it records how God never fails His people. Paul even testifies of the encouragement the Scripture gives: For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.(Romans 15:4) In God's Words alone are hope; therefore, let us still trust God.

In any situation, praise God

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God. (Psalm 42:11)

God is still magnificently beautiful amidst the dark storms and those who have been truly captivated by His beauty never give in to any situations. No dark clouds can blur the heart so much in love with the Lord.

It glorifies God

His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse, nor his delight in the legs of a man; the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love. (Psalm 147:10-11)

In the deepest moment and in the darkest hour, clinging unto the Lord alone gives God pleasure. It glorifies God to see His beloved ones depend on Him. It pleases Him when those downcast in spirit acknowledge their need of His touch and of His comfort.

I don't know how it really happens but I know it is God. It is during this time that I marvel how I can still manage to hope in Him and to really praise Him. I really thank God for this unexplainable hope against hope. There are so much surprises about our God, so much marvelous things He reveals. How can I explain that despite the questioning and disappointments of my heart is the beholding of His unseen workings. I thank God that nothing can separate me from His love (Romans 8:38-39) and I still glorify Him for He is my God.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright His Beloved 2011.